Financial and Employment Coach
Financial and Employment Coach (Full-time)
The Financial and Employment Coach seeks to help clients of the Mansfield Mission Center (MMC) break the cycle of poverty and create greater hope for the future by meeting their financial goals. The Coach is primarily responsible for building client relationships with low to moderate income Mansfield ISD residents in support of moving them towards positive financial behavior change leading to long-term financial stability. Through regularly scheduled meetings, the coach acts as an accountability partner as the client develops and completes their future-focused and action-driven goals. Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Coach will accomplish these tasks through application of the Working Family Success (WFS) Model which centers around organizational delivery of wrap-around employment, income support, and financial coaching services. This role will also manage Unity Lending (UL), and other MMC asset building programs as assigned. The UL Program aims to provide an alternative to high interest Payday Lending/Title Loans to low-income residents or those in crisis.
The Financial and Employment Coach will report directly to the Program Director and work closely with other MMC Access Ability, Employment Services, and Empowerment Coaches as well as other program team members.
The following is a list of related job tasks, however, others may be assigned as needed:
Financial Coaching (55%)
· Provide financial coaching to participants in group and/or one-on-one settings
· Collaborate with program participants in identifying and achieving their financial and life goals
· Be highly motivated to assist low to moderate income families and individuals change behaviors to become financially empowered and begin to build assets
· Build rapport with mission center clients
· Direct clients with assistance in resume preparation and related employment assistance
· Using the Change Machine platform as a coaching tool, develop action plans to assist clients with their specific financial goals related to: credit improvement, expense and debt reduction, budgeting, increasing income, starting or increasing savings, asset accumulation or education
· Review and understand household budgets and client credit reports to assist clients in planning and using a monthly budget.
· Pray with clients when requested.
· Work with clients to build individual action plans based on their unique context.
· Make appropriate referrals and integrate wrap-around supports with other family members, agencies, companies or providers as needed to meet client-centered goals.
· Maintain client files, monitor and report client outcomes monthly using MMC metrics procedures
Program Management (20%)
· Work closely with Program Director in the further developing aspects of the Unity Lending program, including incentives and other ways to engage clients towards positive participation in the program.
· Using mission center criteria, approve interest free loan amounts.
· Work with clients to determine best repayment option for their financial situation.
· Monitor repayment process through follow-up care and action-plan goals.
· Work with Program Director to design strategies for improving repayment rates of Unity Lending Program.
· Provide referral services and follow-up coaching in areas of financial health to Unity Lending clients based on their action plan
· Coordinate and lead financial literacy classes for community members
· Work with Program Director on implementation of other MMC asset-building programs
Crisis Care (10%)
· Provide appropriate support and referrals for clients to external agencies based on the situation.
· Work with 3rd party vendors to make emergency payments on behalf of client
· Refer clients to other MMC programs to support financial, emotional and spiritual goals for self-sufficiency.
Special Activities (15%)
· Support the Mansfield Mission Center’s efforts to operate as a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site by becoming certified as a tax preparer. Training is provided.
· Build relationships with financial empowerment and job development stakeholders in DFW area.
· Attend community awareness and fundraising events as directed by the Executive Director.
· Cross train with Employment and Resource Empowerment Coaches
· Participate in training and ongoing professional development.
The Financial Empowerment Coach should ideally possess the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
· Confidence and enthusiasm when communicating to both external and internal stakeholders.
· Passion for advocating on behalf of marginalized, high needs and low-income clients.
· Enthusiastic approach to work, including the humility and grace to work effectively with others in a collaborative workplace.
· High degree of professionalism and upholds confidentiality.
· Possess a high level of energy; is self-motivated.
· Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
· Christian faith background and ability to use Christ centered concepts to serve the poor.
· Attention to detail.
· Strong personal boundaries.
· Bilingual preferred (Spanish).
Education & Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college, preferably in areas of Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, Social Work, or a related field required
· 5+ years relevant work experience or training in areas of financial education, coaching, client job assistance, or social service delivery
· Prior case management or one-on-one client service delivery experience required
· Knowledge of predatory lending issues, and credit repair, debt reduction, and money management best practices.
· Demonstrated ability to serve the community and coach clients thru areas of behavior change
· Prior employment or volunteer experience in a social service nonprofit environment preferred
· Masters Degree preferred
The Mansfield Mission Center provides a Christ-centered work environment where staff care for and support each other. We are motivated by our faith, are passionate about the work we do, and we also like to have fun together. Our staff breakfast potlucks are famous! If you love helping others, enjoy a moderately-paced work environment, and want to be part of our organizational growth – we would love to hear from you.
To apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to Charlene Hurst, Director of Programs at CharleneH@MansfieldMission.org. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.